Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Last Day of Summer

Today was an absolutely perfect day. I'd say it was Indian summer, but we haven't had a frost yet, so technically it was just an average fall day...but technically it's not fall yet, either. I've probably experienced many days just like this in my life, but haven't stopped to appreciate them. This summer was so cold and wet, however, that I was really ready to appreciate the sun on my shoulders, the bright flowers in the garden, watching Riley lay in a pool of sunlight on the lawn, and all the little things that maybe I hadn't noticed before. I'd say that's true of life in general - you need to pass through a dark period to realize how special the ordinary things are.

Although the calendar begins in January, fall has always felt like the time of fresh starts for me. As the world slows down, and mother nature prepares to hibernate, I feel invigorated. So today was a perfect day to bid goodbye to summer, and bid hello to whatever the next few months have in store for me and those I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment