|Credit: Stacy Spensley|
This recipe is very flexible-adjust the quantities as you see fit. I prefer to use Silver Chard for this recipe, because I find the light green color the most visually appealing, but it works just as well with red or Bright Lights chard.
2 bunches (about 2- 2 1/2 pounds) Swiss Chard
2 tablespoons butter, softened, plus an additional 2 tablespoons, diced
2/3 cup Parmesan Reggiano cheese, grated
Salt, to taste
- Trim the leaves from the stalks and set aside for another use.
- Cut the stalks into 2 inch long pieces.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add the stalks. Boil about 30 minutes, until the stalks are tender. Drain.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Use the softened butter to coat a baking dish. Use a dish that will hold the chard in 2 layers.
- Add half the chard to the dish in a dingle layer, and top with half the cheese. Add the remaining chard, press down, and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Top with the diced butter, and bake for 15 minutes until the top layer is just beginning to brown.