- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 4 1/2 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 2 cups ham, diced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus additional for greasing baking dish
- 7 teaspoons of flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika, plus additional for sprinkling on top if desired
- 1 3/4 cups skim milk
#Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
#Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a saucepan large enough to hold the potatoes and onions.
#Grease a 9x13 baking dish with butter.
#Add the parsley, onions, potatoes, and 2 teaspoons of salt to the boil water. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
#Drain and set aside
#Melt the butter in a 4 cup glass measuring cup in the microwave.
#Whisk in the salt, pepper, paprika, and flour until smooth. Add the milk, and whisk until dissolved.
#Microwave the sauce on high power for 2 minutes, then whisk. Repeat once or twice more until white sauce has thickened.
#Place half of the potatoes and onions in the baking dish. Add the ham, and top with the remaining potatoes and onions.
#Pour the sauce over the top, stirring if needed to make sure it surrounds the potato-onion-ham mixture. Sprinkle more paprika on top if desired.
#Bake uncovered for 35 minutes until potatoes are tender and top is browned.